Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Handmade vs. Factory Produced: Local Artists Do It Better

I have several friends who are into the arts and crafts fields. While I myself market through, what I guess, is more towards the "fine arts" end of the spectrum, these friends market their wares at anime conventions, producing everything from cupcake necklaces to gorgeous, handmade, one-of-a-kind dresses. More often than not, every show and convention is a profits gamble. There's no guaruntee you'll break even on your table fees, let alone make a skyrocketing profit and sell out of everything. It's rough, and I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who get what I'm saying (Writing? Saying? Whatever).

What I'm here to write about on this lovely installment of Art Wednesday is why you, the reader, should take the time to invest in more handmade goods from local artists, versus purchasing something "factory produced". Trust me, I've heard the age-old arguement of, "Why spend $_____ on a commission when I can go to Ikea and buy the same size piece for the same amount, and not have to wait around for it to be completed?" One of my nearest (I guess not "nearest", she lives in Michigan) and dearest friends makes handmade lolita and steampunk clothing and is now branching into cosplay. I can't tell you how many times some snooty brat has said that for what she's charging for the handmade goods, she could go spend on brand-name items. To snooty brat's credit, she does have a point. Yeah, you *could* go buy second-hand brand stuff for the same amount of money, but hey, you'll also be wearing the same damn dress hundreds of other girls are wearing/replicating. What's the fun in that?

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that handmade goods and fine art cost as much as they do because of how cost is factored. Being a painter myself, I price my work based on a combination of supply costs + labor. My labor fees run at about $10/hour. When you consider my 8 x 10 pieces, therefore, that are priced between $30-$35, you can take that to mean the artwork took about 2-2/12 hours to make, plus the cost to cover the expenses of acrylic paint, varnish, paintbrush cleaner, and canvas (quality art supplies ain't cheap, lovers).

What you also have to think about is how much energy and love goes into being the sole producer of your work. While I can't speak from the standpoint of someone who makes jewelry or dresses, I can say that with my paintings, everything is one of a kind. A piece of my heart goes into everything I make and I work at my art until it is something I stand back, look at, and feel true pride for. I don't give up my pride and joy cheaply...I don't expect any other crafter or artist would do the same.

But this is exactly why you should invest a little more money into your local artists. You might not be getting instant gratification, but you can know that each time you look at the work hanging on your wall that the artist has pride in it and labor and love and times was invested into it, just for you, no less. You also know that you're getting something that isn't identical to what anyone else has. What better feeling than to know there is originality in your home!

Discussion question: Do you partake in a craft or art? What is it? Do you enjoy it? Do you too often face people who complain about the price? How do you handle those potential clientele?

See you all next Monday, lovers.

-Rein




No comments:

Post a Comment